Friday, November 11, 2016

Can I Still Be Proud to be an American? November 9, 2016



I am proud to be an American because of our democracy; Hoping it will continue to work as it should with respect for the constitution, law and each other

I am proud to be an American because of our diversity; Hoping I can still be sure all will be protected under that established law and in the spirit of who we are

I am proud to be an American because of our freedom of speech; Wondering if our words are valued any more and have not become cheap and too easily thrown around

I am proud to be an American because of the possibility of individual aspirations; Wondering if people will keep their individual goals in mind while being aware of the impact of those goals on others

I am proud to be an American because of the integrity of our stated values; Worrying that people are forgetting what they are and how critically we need them

I am proud to be an American because of the calm the morning after a difficult election with shocking results; Praying that the calm will lead us to action and desire to be and do better

As An American I am duly worried and concerned; Fervently praying that reason will reign and a shared and ethical democracy will prevail

1 comment:

  1. This perfectly captures the moment we are in - thank you!

    ReplyDelete