Friday, March 20, 2020

GOING INTO SHABBAT, THE BLESSINGS IN THE MIDST OF OUR REALITY



My intention was to write and post this before Shabbat on Friday, and indeed began this then. However, after a week of cancelling everything and putting it all back together again in different ways to the highest degree possible, I ended up too close to the start of our Jewish Sabbath and had to leave this until Sunday. I clearly have thoughts at this time going into our weekly 25 hour experience of NO TECHNOLOGY whatsoever, you know, being UNPLUGGED, after spending all week truly communicating with everyone by phone, phone conferencing, Zoom, Face Time, etc….. So here are some initial observations:

1. Kids, can someone explain to me what is so cool about being plugged in continually to your technology and not having face to face people time; I really don’t get it.

2. I am really glad I love my husband Ken and that we get along so well, because we are definitely spending lots of time together.

3. I thought my tech skills were pretty okay, but really have to up my game; though I will say age grouping matters. (See #4)

4. In our Elkins Park shul, where I am a member of the “junior congregation,” I seem to be one of the more tech-savvy individuals. I know my kids get how sad that really is; do you?

5. I am eternally grateful for our home, the financial stability we have and the many blessings we have been granted by God that is getting us through this time.

6. I LOVE the sense of humor this is bringing out. FUNNIEST posts ever. My personal favorite “The cleaning lady just called. She is working remotely from home and will give us instructions about what to do.” And there there are the hysterical rants of moms who ARE NOT TEACHERS – one from Israel and one from the United States. Still laughing.

Humor, having what we need to get through the day, love of those around us and our own resources …. All so important at this point in time. We are doing all of the healthy things we are supposed to be doing. I have a full schedule of teaching, learning, doing work, helping people connect to communities and so much else. I am also making a point to speak with AT LEAST FIVE PEOPLE every day like we are supposed to. And I know that I am so blessed to be able to live through this time with, compared to others, limited inconveniences and concerns.

Mostly, it’s about health everyone – our physical and mental and emotional health. Stay in touch with each other and take care of yourselves. For those of us with children in our lives, use this time to have special experiences. I agree with all those who say, yes, keep a school schedule going, but use this time to do things you may not have a chance to do with the normal craziness of life. Here is an opportunity to think about our days and our lives differently and who knows what lessons we will take with us into our lives, when G-d willing, they return to a normal and “out of isolation” pace.

So as you can see, I DID finish this before Shabbat so I wish all a Shabbat Shalom – a day of peace and rest and healing. Stay in touch and keep yourselves in health.

No comments:

Post a Comment